Wednesday, April 13, 2005

The Robe

I watched The Robe in my RST 135 class today. I was running late, so I had to run into the MU really fast and buy a chicken quesadilla. It was good. The movie was good. I did kinda sorta feel like a jerk for eating in class. I'm not trying to draw any spiritual parallels between chicken quesadillas and the sweet film I watched; the two are just inextricably intwoven in my mind, kind of like a buy one, get one free deal.

The part of it that really spoke to me was the way that it depicted the early church. The film centers around the roman soldier, named Marsellus, who crucified Christ and is wracked by guilt after realizing that the "traitor" truly was the Son of God. The story is fiction of course, but the tale of Marsellus' conversion to Christianity and his zeal for God paints a compelling picture of the early years of the Acts church as the gospel spread like wildfire despite heavy persecution by the Romans.

Early Roman emperors used to use Christians as torches for their palaces during the height of their persecution. And to take this fact stored in my hand and pair it with the movie scenes of the early believers praying together and singing together hit a warm spot in my heavy heart. I know this is a Hollywood depiction, but the church described in Acts 2 surpasses even the touchy-feeliness of the movie's depiction of believers - it was cool to be reminded of how powerfully God used people in the early days of the Church, and how he continues to use people powerfully today.
They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved. (Acts 2:42-47, NIV)
Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. (Romans 12:11, NIV)
See you soon.

No comments: