Thursday, April 14, 2005

Right Under My Nose

I lost my sheet music today. I'm playing in a saxophone quartet this quarter, which means that there are 4 of us in the group, total. (For those of you who didn't know, I play the alto and baritone saxophones. I didn't really practice much during high school, but now that I'm a music major, I've started to take it seriously again.) Since the group is so small, when one person doesn't have their music, it's not the best thing in the world. I knew I hadn't lost it lost it, but I just couldn't find it. In addition, a lot of close friends of mine are going through some tough times in their families, and one guy that I've been really praying for, Gary, is not doing very well. So when 2:50 rolled around and I couldn't find my music for my 3:00 quartet, I was in a frenzy. I was flinging open drawers, rifling through stacks of papers, and looking under couches for this stinkin' folder. In the end, I just jumped on my bike, folder-less, and went to class.

My mind was awash with all these thoughts of how forgetful I am, and I was wondering why some things never work out for people, no matter how hard they try. In short, I was angry. So I got home, plopped down in at my desk, and decided to do a little room cleaning. My roommate's guitar was laying across this really comfy brown leather chair we have, so I picked it up. And guess what I found under it: my music folder. It had been right under my nose the whole time, waiting to be found.

I've been thinking lately about the fact that whenever I want to speak with the God of the universe, whether I'm on the bus, in class, or at a death metal show, he is always there, ready to listen. And whenever I fall down, he is there to pick me back up again. Every moment is an opportunity to commune with the King of Kings; that is, if I truly believe in his faithfulness. Because there are times when I feel like I can't find my way to God, be it because of my pride, my shame, or my fear. There are times where I feel so alone, so lost, so confused. But the truth is, that I'm never alone - He is always there, waiting for me to seek him. Waiting to step into my life and make it supernatural. Waiting, begging for me to let me love him. Though I feel alone, I am never alone - he's right under my nose.
God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. (Psalm 46:1-3, NIV)

A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. (Proverbs 18:24, NIV)
See you soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are becoming a more persistent and proficient blogger with each new day. I am glad to see that your letting your brain empty itself on the keyboard.

Max Critchfield said...

thanks trev.