Monday, April 11, 2005

Pouring My Life Out

Well, I'm back from Woodleaf, and I can't tell you how restful and rejuvenating it was. There were 11 of us all in all, and we spent the weekend helping out in the kitchen, washing dishes, and setting tables. There were over 200 people at the camp that weekend, and so we definitely had a lot of work to do, but no one ever complained or gave up. We ate good food, played basketball, sang, prayed, threw snowballs (they had had a freak snowstorm the day before), and we laughed until our sides hurt. We served.

While we were standing around on saturday, a good friend of mine asked the question, "Why do we, being Christians, serve?" Someone shot back the answer, "Well, because Jesus tells us to." This was supposed to be a joke, but besides being the church answer, we all knew it was the right one. But that doesn't make for much of a conversation, does it? Darn the truth for being so simple. Just kidding.

This talk about serving made me think of a story I'd read once in Matthew 26:
"Now when Jesus was in Bethany, at the home of Simon the leper, a woman came to Him with an alabaster vial of very costly perfume, and she poured it on His head as He reclined at the table. But the disciples were indignant when they saw this, and said, 'Why this waste? For this perfume might have been sold for a high price and the money given to the poor.' But Jesus, aware of this, said to them, "Why do you bother the woman? For she has done a good deed to Me. For you always have the poor with you; but you do not always have Me. For when she poured this perfume on My body, she did it to prepare Me for burial. Truly I say to you, wherever this gospel is preached in the whole world, what this woman hasdone will also be spoken of in memory of her.'"
I learned this weekend that the "alabaster vial" of costly perfume that the woman poured out on Jesus' head was meant to be saved for one of two occasions: her marriage, or her burial. Without it, it was unlikely that she would be able to get married. This perfume represented for her great value, her social standing, and her security: in essence, it was her life. The disciples were disgusted because they thought it was a waste, but for the woman, it was just between her and Jesus; she wanted to do nothing but pour out her life at his feet, because she understood who he truly was. He was her everything, and this was seen in the magnitude of her sacrifice, her service.

And I think that this is why we serve: because Jesus, in his infinite love, has revealed himself to us in all of his glory, and as we come to know him more, we desire to offer up our lives to serve God, regardless of the cost. Regardless of whether or not it makes a difference, regardless of whether it seems like foolishness, regardless of whether or not we see and fruit come of our labors, the truth is that it's all between me and Jesus. This is how Jesus has messed me up; he has placed a new heart in me, a heart that longs to serve him, regardless of the price. Regardless of disappointment, discomfort, discouragement, and weariness. I serve because it pleases him. He's my King of Kings, and I want to pour out my life at his feet.
"It may not make a difference,
It may not move a single stone,
It may not change a single life,
but it pleases you, it pleases you

Oh, because it pleases you,
because it pleases you I come"
(Moi, It Pleases You)

See you soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Max, I think I'm gonna use these thoughts in my next youth group discussion on service, so thanks man.