Monday, April 04, 2005

Grasping at Postmodernism: Part I

I talked a week or so ago about posting some thoughts about postmodernism in the Christian faith, mostly because I've been thinking a lot about it and I didn't want to forget the thoughts that I had over spring break. I know this probably seems really random for me to just come out of nowhere with this, but I've had a lot of conversations in this past month about a lot of issues that have really challenged me and compelled me to rethink and reevaluate my understanding of biblical Christianity.

I think that a postmodern way of viewing God is difficult for me because rules and absolutes were very important to me when I first became a Christian. Because I was so steeped in sin before I came to Christ, I needed someone to tell me, "Max, the things you are doing are wrong. These actions are keeping you from Jesus. He loves you, and he wants you to stop." It was so intruiging and attractive because it was so simple. In this same way, the Gospel is so intruiging and attractive because of it's simplicity; we have but to place our faith in Christ for what he has done, and we will spend eternity alive in the fullness of Christ. In my mind, postmodernism is hard to grip because there is very little black and white, and a lot of gray. It requires a lot of wisdom, guidance, and discernment. There are a lot of issues today that cannot be answered cleanly and quickly, and there are a lot of issues in my life that defy my understanding and leave me with the constant struggle of what I truly believe.

But regardless of all my doubt, I know that behind the curtain of gray lies Christ, the ultimate black and white, embracing in my struggles and sustaining me when I walk in deserts of unbelief and strife. There are lot of questions, and a lot of interpretations, but there is only ONE truth. ONE way. I am not alone on this journey. Though I walk through the valley of disbelief, I shall not fear, for YHWH is with me. See you soon.

(Brian McClaren is a well-known postmodernist Christian thelogian who has a lot to say on this subject and more. Read his blog here. Check out his books here.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

woah I've been thinking a lot about postmodernism too! high five max.

Anonymous said...

Those are excellent thoughts. I am learning to find God in the tension. As God watches me struggle with the tension of the things I do not understand, I find that it drwas me into the idea that God does understand and that I have to follow him. The other thought I have is, what id God isn't static? What if he is moving as well. What if God is and has always been moving people from somewhere to something. We Christians tend to be so static, what if God isn't? Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I'll comment more soon.