Thursday, July 21, 2005

In China - III


Well, my time is winding down here in China. This is a picture of our team singing songs up on the roof about DAD. This trip has been amazing - it has totally changed the way that I think about China - the people, the faith, the poverty, and the beauty of a country that is growing to be a world superpower.

Everything is cheap here. Last saturday I took a day of rest and got a 2 hour foot and partial body massage for 40 yuan, which is 5 bucks. Drinks cost a quarter. Shirts cost a dollar. Candy costs 12 cents. Nice journals (YES) are a buck. I ate a barbequed chicken heart. It was good. I ate a pickled, 20 year-old chicken egg. That wasn't so good.

Sorry these updates are short and sweet, but when I get back to the states and I can say HOW I REALLY FEEL, I'll share some of the deep and amazing stuff that been going on here at the university and down in my heart. I just wanted to post here every once awhile to feel like I'm close to home, and that though I feel alone, I am never alone. Be home soon.

By the way, a tropical storm is setting in just over our town right now, which just a day or two ago was Typhoon Haitang. Welcome to China.

P.S. - I can read comments here in China, but I can't respond to them because I can't actually view my webpage. but I can update, and I can see your comments. Thanks for those who've dropped a line, and I'll get in touch with you when I'm back in the states.

Be thou my vision, O Lord of my heart
Naught be all else to me save that thou art
Thou my best thought by day or by night
Waking or sleeping thy presence my light

Be thou my wisdom and thou my true word
I ever with thee and thou with me, Lord
Thou my great Father, and I thy true son
Thou in my dwelling, and I with thee Lord

Riches I need not, nor man’s empty praise
Thou mine inheritance now and always
Thou and thou only, first in my heart
High king of heaven, my treasure thou art

High King of heaven, my victory won
May I reach heaven’s joy, O bright Heaven’s sun
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall
Still be my vision, O ruler of All

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you REALLY FEEL that barbequed chicken hearts don't taste good? Or that pickled eggs do taste good? Perhaps you REALLY FEEL that chickens are controlling people, and you don't want to risk offending them. I wonder.

aurora said...

actually "bob" here got it mixed up; you did enjoy the barbecued chicken heart, correct. but you certainly did not enjoy the 20 year old pickled egg. i don't really want to know why you ate one, either..

Anonymous said...

Actually, "bob" was using a combination of sarcasm and irony to try and make a joke. Perhaps he should be funnier in the future. He apologizes.

boarderdudet said...

hey man i was talking to a friend about some thing called a thousand year old egg... they said they burry it in sulfur in the ground and take it out months later... it smells horrible but is concidered a delicacy. i think that's what youre talking about so man...tough break on the egg. glad your home and it was amazing. Thailand was super cheap too. i couldn't believe it.

Max Critchfield said...

sweet buck. We can swap Asia stories soon, I'd love to hear about your trip.