Tuesday, July 05, 2005

China

Well, it is monday, the 4th of July - I was watching fireworks explode over the bay today from my patio and realized that it's going to be awhile before I get to see Fremont again. I'm flying out of SFO tommorow at 1:45pm non-stop to Beijing on a 13-hour flight to spend three weeks at SIAS university, and I won't be back until the 24th of July. I'm stoked. I've been thinking about expectations I have for the trip, and I don't really have much, save for the knowledge that GOD's going to blow my socks off. I can't wait. This is a trip that has been a long time in preparation and prayer, and I can't believe that tommorow it begins. Updates will posted sporadically here and I'll have limited access to my email. But I'm blessed to know that so many people are lifting me up in their prayers, I know that I'll never be far away in the hearts of people that I love. If you're one of those people, thank you.

On a different note, I'm packing pretty light for the trip, and so I've stuffed everything into my hiking backpack, which will help me a lot with lugging it everywhere. But I've decided to take only 12 CDs with me (gasp), and so here's the list:
- Enter the Worship Circle: First Circle, 100 Portraits and Waterdeep (awesome disc, simple worship)
- Chase The Sun, The OC Supertones (upbeat ska about Jesus, never fails to bring a smile to my face)
- Illuminate, David Crowder Band (amazing lyrics)
- Undone, MercyMe (Bart Millard has an amazing way with lyrics that really resonates with me)
- Self-Titled & Much Afraid, Jars of Clay (no explanation necessary)
- Self-Titled, Nickel Creek (amazing musicality, good reading music)

- Myself When I Am Real, Bebo Norman (mellow, deep, Jesus - I'm a fan)

- New Way To Be Human, Switchfoot (my go-to disc for solid rock)

- Reverence, Timber (Brings me back to Xtreme Camp 2000, and that's a good thing)

- Lost November (and some random stuff), Jack Withers (I'm strongly against pirating/"borrowing" music, but I love this disc so much that I had to jack it - his songs are amazing)
- Self-Titled, Yellowcard (SOLID ROCK that's not boring - I love it)

"It’s the song of the redeemed
Rising from the African plain
It’s the song of the forgiven
Drowning out the Amazon rain
The song of Asian believers
Filled with God’s holy fire
It’s every tribe, every tongue, every nation
A love song born of a grateful choir

It’s all God’s children singing
Glory, glory, hallelujah
He reigns, He reigns
It’s all God’s children singing
Glory, glory, hallelujah
He reigns, He reigns

Let it rise about the four winds
Caught up in the heavenly sound
Let praises echo from the towers of cathedrals
To the faithful gathered underground
Of all the songs sung from the dawn of creation
Some were meant to persist
Of all the bells rung from a thousand steeples
None rings truer than this

And all the powers of darkness
Tremble at what they’ve just heard
‘Cause all the powers of darkness
Can’t drown out a single word

When all God’s children sing out
Glory, glory, hallelujah
He reigns, He reigns
All God’s people singing
Glory, glory, hallelujah
He reigns, He reigns"
(He Reigns, Newsboys)
See you soon.

2 comments:

Jackson said...

Hope you have an awesome, safe trip, dude.

aurora said...

woot china
if you don't get this in time you'll just have to discover these things for yourself-

packs of tissue are essential.. you don't get napkins and you don't get toilet paper.. and it's for wiping off the sweat too as it's almost 100F in beijing at the moment

...the toilets... but you'll be fine, you're a guy

you might get ripped off if you don't haggle with shopkeepers (only on the streets)

shopkeepers and people in general might seem impolite, but they're not trying to

virtually all media is bootleg

even if the cars don't stay in lanes, don't worry, they probably won't hit you

I think that's about it. have a good trip max.