Friday, July 08, 2005

In China - I

I'm alive. There's so much to say, but I can't really tell you - the sights, the smells, the sounds, everything. So I thought I'd share some not-so-random thoughts that I've had here so far. Here goes:

- The lane markers, including the ones dividing opposing traffic, are not rules; more like polite suggestions.
- Pedestrians don't have the right of way.
- It's really hot, and really humid. Everywhere.
- I love it here.
- Jade is really expensive.
- There are locusts everywhere, but you don't see them - you hear them. It's like cicadas, but times ten. It makes me wonder what it sounded like in Egypt when the plagues blew through. Must've been deafening.
- Dumplings are the bomb.
- A lot of Chinese speak english, or they want to.
- Tianamen square is really big.
- The Great Wall is bigger. And really steep. Gorgeous.
- You never need to ask where the bathroom is. You smell it.
- Chinese children are beautiful, and they don't all look alike.
- This isn't one nation under ___.

This place is amazing! I'm excited about what's to come, and I'm ready. I will not be silent anymore. Talk to you soon.

No comments: