Saturday, September 03, 2005

Street Preachers


A few months back, I wrote about an experience that I had with one of the very agressive evangelists that you see on college campuses and street corners in America, and all over the world. I think that there is a very interesting dichotomy in my mind with respect to street preachers, because on one hand I feel that the way in which they seek to share the Gospel of Christ can sometimes does more harm than good, but on the other hand I feel like they're right where Christians are supposed to be: I don't mean waving a bible in front of peoples' faces on a street corner, but rather outside of the church sanctuary and out where all the people who have refused to have GOD in their knowledge are. Out where all the people who need Jesus are. Out where the hungry, thirsty, hopeless, despairing people are.

My thoughts were piqued on this subject by a post that I read on a blog called "Odyssey." You can read the post here. His thoughts on the need for the Church to be out where the Word is most needed were very compelling. Shoot, while I was doing some googling for this post, I even ran across a website dedicated to people who are Street Preachers. Check it out here. See you soon.
"In those days John the Baptist came, preaching in the Desert of Judea and saying, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near." This is he who was spoken of through the prophet Isaiah:

"A voice of one calling in the desert,
'Prepare the way for the Lord, make straight paths for him.'

John's clothes were made of camel's hair, and he had a leather belt around his waist. His food was locusts and wild honey. People went out to him from Jerusalem and all Judea and the whole region of the Jordan. Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River." (Matthew 3:1-6)

No comments: