Friday, March 25, 2005

Out To Dry

Taking this long car ride down to southern California has really taught me to appreciate a good stretch. I really enjoyed the trip, but after 9 hours, I can't even tell you how nice it was for me to get out and have a good, loud stretch. I get the "loud" part from my dad - I'm not sure why, but a good stretch is not complete without some yawning and animal noises.

I really take a lot of pleasure in driving, but when I'm cooped up in any vehicle for too long, I start to go "funny." Staring off into space, random thoughts, irritable demeanor: there is just a point where I need to pull over and stir my stumps, get some fresh air, and of course, have a nice, raucous stretch.

In my mind, I feel the same need for a good stretch, except 10 times more. Romans 12:2 calls me to be "transformed by the renewing of my mind," but there are times where the thoughts that bounce in my noggin spin around faster and faster until I feel like my head is about to explode. I think I feel like this way when I am sick: numb all over, disoriented, ineffectual, cold. I feel like I think a lot of things in my mind, but when it comes to translating them into action, nothing ever seems to work out right, like I'm numb and disconnected. A puppet without a puppeteer.

Sounds dark and introspective, doesn't it? This is where the good stretch comes in; I can't describe to you how good it feels to let my thoughts out, whether it be through vunerable conversations with good friends, prayers, or journaling. It makes me feel like I have turned on a light in my head and found that no monsters lurk in the shadows of my mind; I'm not crazy. Other people do have struggles. It's not all about me. In letting out those thoughts that are so quick to fester, mutate, and decieve, I stay grounded in the reality of honest community and authentic relationships. I calm the roaring wind so that I can hear the whisper of God. I feel alive and real. I feel loved.

I am called by God to be transformed by the renewing of my mind; now that's a good stretch.

No comments: